Pollock, Thomas "Further Notice of a Huge Unknown Animal in North America," The Scots Magazine (1 July 1818)

Having been shown a number of the Edinburgh Magazine by a gentleman in this neighbourhood, which gives some account of an uncommon animal seen among the mountains of North America, and signifies a hope that some person who has actually seen the animal will come forward and describe what he knows of it, I take this opportunity of testifying, that, in so far can judge from the description, I have seen the very animal in question. In the year 1803, I was sergeant in the service of the Hudson’s Bay Company, and in that capacity accompanied the late Louis in an incursion into the interior, with view to open a direct communication with the Indian nations immediately to the west of us. We left York fort on the 19th of May 1803. About fortnight after, having been sent across a river, the name of which I do not now recollect, by Mr Louis’s orders, the guide and myself suddenly came upon animal of an enormous size. It appeared about 20 feet in height, and had a very heavy and unwieldy appearance. I can give but a very lame account of it, on account the consternation into which I was thrown. The largeness of its belly was enormous, nearly touching the ground. Its colour was a dirty black. By Mr Louis’s desire I attempted a drawing of it, which he got, but I am sure it could not have been very accurate. Mr Louis unfortunately saw only its footsteps and dung. He took correct measure of the former, which was about two feet square. I am positive, however, that the feet were not divided, as the account in your Magazine bears. It appeared from the impression, that the feet were hollow in the middle. Perhaps the account in your Magazine is derived from the same source; but I think that the records the Hudson’s Bay Company could give the scientific observations of Mr Louis, to which I could make pretence. I recollect his saying, it was evident from the dung that the animal must live upon vegetables. When I returned home in 1812, I gave the above account to Dr Hodgson, minister of this parish, and to several other Persons whom I thought it might interest but as they did not seem to give much credit to my words, have ever since ceased mentioning the particulars. If my character for veracity has suffered, hope the coinciding testimony of your correspondent P. will have the effect of re-establishing it in the good opinion of these gentlemen. If you think the publishing of this letter will be of any use in leading to farther information, you are welcome to print it, and to use my name as you please. I remain your obedient servant, Thomas Pollock. Blantyre Hamilton, 6th July 1818.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doke, Clement M. (1931) The Lambas of Northern Rhodesia: A Study of Their Customs and Beliefs, p. 352

Wolf, Tom & Sparks, Barbara (1995) Colorado's Sangre de Cristo Mountains, University Press of Colorado, p. 157

Anstruther, Robert H. "A Strange Sea Reptile," The Spectactor (4 March 1922)