Livingstone, David "Explorations Into the Interior of Africa," Journal of the Royal Geographical Society, Vol. 24 (1854)

My boatman informed me that he had seen an animal, with long wide spreading horns like an ox, called liombikalela–perhaps the modern bison; also another animal, which does not live in the water, but snorts like a hippopotamus, and is like that animal in size–it has a horn, and may be the Asiatic rhinoceros. And we passed some holes of a third animal, which burrows from the river inland, has short horns, and feeds only by night. I did not notice the burrows at the time of passing, but I give you the report as I got it ... and there is a pretty little antelope on the Sesheké, called "teeanyane," which seemed new to me. These animals did not lie in my line, so you must be content with this brief notice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doke, Clement M. (1931) The Lambas of Northern Rhodesia: A Study of Their Customs and Beliefs, p. 352

Wolf, Tom & Sparks, Barbara (1995) Colorado's Sangre de Cristo Mountains, University Press of Colorado, p. 157

Schafer, Louis S. "The Deepstar 4000," The Compass: A Magazine of the Sea, Vol. 56, No. 1 (1986)