Lyell, Denis David (1935) African Adventure, p. 125

Millais writes me on June 22nd, 1925, about the matter of an animal called the "Chimpekwe," in N.E. Rhodesia, which, I believe, is completely extinct, although I think it must have been in existence in the early years of the 19th century for I have heard the natives talk of it but never met one who had actually seen one. They say it had horns on its face like a rhino and was as large as a hippo. It may be a myth, but if so it seems strange to me that a name (or rather several names in different parts of Africa) should be used to describe it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doke, Clement M. (1931) The Lambas of Northern Rhodesia: A Study of Their Customs and Beliefs, p. 352

Wolf, Tom & Sparks, Barbara (1995) Colorado's Sangre de Cristo Mountains, University Press of Colorado, p. 157

Anstruther, Robert H. "A Strange Sea Reptile," The Spectactor (4 March 1922)