Brown, Henry "Bigger Than Nessie," Science Digest, Vol. 62 (1967)

Your item on Dr. Roy P. Mackal and the Loch Ness Monster (This Month, July '67) was especially distressing to me. It is not that the Loch Ness Phenomena Investigation Bureau Ltd. should not keep on investigating, but this group is after minnows compared to the huge Leviathan in waters approximately two hundred miles west of the Azores Islands, in the regular shipping lanes. The Loch Ness Monster, according to other articles I have read is not larger than fifty feet, while the mammoth creature of which I am speaking may be over three hundred feet, possibly five hundred feet.
Approximately 1300 hours, 25 June, 1966 while on board a ship en route to New York I saw this tremendous Leviathan partially surfaced in a calm sea. There was not a whitecap to be seen, when all of a sudden there was a breakwater about a mile distant, as the prow of a ship might make. My first glimpse of the greyish-blue sea serpent came as the long round body emerged from the depths and, like a roller coaster, began descending. This prompted me to believe it might be a whale (many of which I have seen). But as I watched in amazement at the continuous emerging and descending for almost a minute, I realized that it was no whale but a sea serpent at least twenty times larger than a whale.
I did not see the head or tail or the lower portion of the long round body, but the portion I did see was about twenty feet above the water. It was travelling in the same direction as the liner I was on and at twice the speed. I was so awed by what I had seen that I was speechless and the creature disappeared as I tried to attract another passenger to take a look at it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doke, Clement M. (1931) The Lambas of Northern Rhodesia: A Study of Their Customs and Beliefs, p. 352

Wolf, Tom & Sparks, Barbara (1995) Colorado's Sangre de Cristo Mountains, University Press of Colorado, p. 157

Schafer, Louis S. "The Deepstar 4000," The Compass: A Magazine of the Sea, Vol. 56, No. 1 (1986)